Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Krabi


Our catamaran trip back to the mainland was horrendous.  The Gulf of Thailand was like the North Sea on a bad day.  We were offered sick bags when we had taken our seats, and most of the cocky westerners refused, including myself and Nev.  I’ve spent a lot of time at sea experiencing some choppy conditions offshore and have never been sea sick.  The catamaran was something else though, it bounced its way along the top of the waves, sometimes getting some good air before crashing back down with a jolt.  The Thais were prepared with sick bags and smelling salts to overcome the stench of the impending vomit.  It wasn’t long before the first westerner was sick and unfortunately he was sitting a few rows behind me.  He stood up and projectile vomited in the aisle.  It started rolling towards me, the sounds and the smell of the sick started a chain reaction of gagging.  The girl who was sitting next to Nev quietly threw up in her sick bag, it was almost full at the end of the journey.  It was a loooong two hours, even though I wasn’t sick I wish I had taken a sick bag.  I didn’t feel confident and for most of the two hours I was thinking if I was sick, what I could have thrown up into.  My laptop bag or the aisle were the only options as all the toilets were full with people heaving. 

Our next destination was Krabi, where we to spend the night and set off for Kho Phi Phi the next morning.  I’d been to Krabi before and remembered there was a good street food market in the town.  We were dropped off at a travel agent where we managed to get incredibly cheap accommodation organised along with our transport to Koh Phi Phi for the next day.  We checked into our Hotel and then took advantage of the ping pong table that was situated on the first floor.  After a few games we’d worked up a bit of a hunger and left for the street market.

The street market was pretty much as I remembered it, with weird and wonderful sights, sounds and smells.  I ended up having about three separate meals there, dispersed with a few beer stops.  We ended up at a bar near our Hotel for a night cap, then went to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment